History

The Rockland Camerata was founded in 1978 and incorporated as a not-for-profit organization (501c3) in 1980.

The Camerata founder, Dr. William H. Reese, also founded the Philadelphia Chamber Chorus in 1951, was Music Director of the renowned Bach Festival Chorus of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and was Professor of Music at Haverford College in Pennsylvania, conducting the College Chorus and the Bryn Mawr-Haverford College Orchestra.

Maestro Reese retired from the Rockland Camerata in 1999. He was honored in 1995 with a Lifetime Award from the County Executive and the Arts Council of Rockland for his more than 20 years of leading the Rockland Camerata.